Friday, April 27, 2012

Dungeon Delve Design Log 3: Who Wins the Race?

With literally dozens of potentially playable fantasy races available as options, I quickly realized I could not put them all in the book. I had to pick and choose. My goal was to hit the must-haves (Elf, Dwarf, Human, Halfling) and then go from there. I also wanted to create a unique rules "identity" for each race, a mix of dice bonuses, penalties, and other special factors.

Since I am using my own version of classes in this game, I also found a nice way to differentiate otherwise similar racial types: the Favored Class.  Each race (except Humans) gets two Favored Classes. If the player picks a Favored Class for his character's race, he gets +1D to his Class trait.  For example, Elves have Ranger and Mage as their Favored Classes, so if I'm making an Elf Ranger I would add +1D to my Ranger Class trait.

So what do you get for playing against type?  Most 1st level characters start every game with 3 Fate points, and these can be an incredibly powerful resource in the game. They let you, among other things, literally cheat death. Characters who end up with a Class trait that is not a Favored Class gain +1 Fate point to their starting total each game. That's a powerful reward for going outside your race's comfort zone. Does it balance out with the +1D you would otherwise get on arguably your most important trait?  Perhaps not, but with its greater role-play sensibility, GDD is not really going for total, 100% balance. It's about fun and character.

I'll be including "rough" rules for building your own races; if we end up leaving a favorite of yours out (everyone who wants to see rules for classed-up, Grimlock Fighters, raise your hands!), you can make it yourself! 

Anyway, here's a brief rundown of the races featured so far and their favored classes:

Race and Favored Classes
Each race entry lists its favored classes, but we’ve also grouped them here in one place for easy reference. Favored class grants +1D to Class trait. If you do not choose a class that is favored for your race, you gain +1 Fate point.
Race                 Favored Classes
Dwarf                 Fighter, Priest
Elf                     Ranger, Mage
Goblin                Fighter, Thief
Halfling               Druid, Thief
Human               Any
Kobold               Ranger, Priest
Lizardman          Fighter, Druid
Orc                    Fighter, Ranger

Keep in mind that each race will also get trait dice bumps and penalties and minor special abilities or faults.

I'll discuss those in a later development log.

Give me a shout-out if you see any glaring omissions--and I know Gnomes aren't on here yet, but I will get to them. In the meantime, take the advice I gave a to good friend who was despondent when 4E initially excluded Gnomes: Take a dwarf, trim his beard a bit, and fill him with whimsy!

Thanks for visiting!

--Scott


5 comments:

  1. You can go Old School D&D where Dwarf, Elf and Halfling are a class themselves. For Example, elves can have fighter and magic abilities, rather than having seperate clases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While this was an intriguing idea that I seriously considered, I'm set with my Old School/3rd ed/4th ed hybrid approach. It will allow me to include the more "humanoid" monstrous races as PC races, and that's one of the things I liked a lot about 3E.

    Thanks, Baron!

    --Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gnolls, Bugbears, Trolls, oh my. I would include these so you can round out parties for some of the dark creatures.

    i.e. - A goblin, Orc, troll adventuring party would be quite fun.

    As would a kobold, gnoll, bugbear one. It would also introduce the ability to add a large monstrous type to the party who has some benefits, but some real drawbacks. Trolls are dumb. Gnolls are bloodthirsty. Bugbears always need a bath. etc. And maybe you could add an ogre for the kinder gentler races.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Half-Elf was always a fan favorite. Just counting that as either/or?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for races like:

    -Undeads (Zombies, vampire, skeleton, mummies)
    -Beastmen (snake-men, goat-men, fish-men,...)not only lizardmen
    -Demons/magic creature (living statues, elementals, succubes,...)

    And classes or subclasses like:
    For Mage
    -Necromancer (more hability in resurrection, can rise skeletons,...)
    -Eldritch/Witch, evil mage with black magic (powerfull but dangerous)

    -Pirate
    -Wise man: Alchemist/Ingeneer
    -Cultist, evil druid

    ReplyDelete