Friday, August 28, 2009

AE Bounty First Figures

Finally had a moment or two to get some paint on first two AE Bounty figures Rico got me from his trip to Gen Con. I really like these figures. Kudos to Darkson Designs for clean casts with plenty of sci-fi character!

First up is the Hunter:









I need to work some more on the weathering on his armor. I want to make the nicks and dents finer and more nuanced. Work in progress here.

Then there's the Defender:








I am happier with the final turnout on the Defender, but I will still go back make the nicks in the armor more ragged and "natural".

Now I have some comparison shots with the two figures next to each other, and also alongside the Battlelords Ram Python warrior I featured a while back. I've re-based him for AE Bounty. The game promises to let you use any sci-fi miniature from your collection, and I fully intend to use him and many of my Cobalt and Star Mogul figures I've painted.









The figures are standing in a little terrain piece I made using some old Armorcast tech walls attached to a base made of sheet styrene, flocked with sand and pebbles.



Behind the two AE Bounty figures is a paper model transport from Ebbles Miniatures web site. Nice paper minis, but modeling them well is a hobby unto itself. One of these days I will take some more pics of the paper models I have made. Great stuff, and Ebbles gives you a lot for your money.

I also have plans to re-base and re-paint some Star Wars miniatures for the game--they seem to fit the sci-flavor of this game. Well, I am now pretty stoked for the arrival of AE Bounty in October. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it!

Scott

6 comments:

  1. Definitely looking forward to AE-Bounty. The rules for AE-WWII are great, and should transfer well to the new setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Can you give me a summary of the basics? I know it uses D6's, but what is the basic mechanic?

    Rico did the demo at Gen Con and said it was fun, but he demoed so many games, he was fuzzy on the details!

    Thanks!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Game play wise it is the same as AE WWII, the mechanics are the same as well as the army building. Bounty adds another layer of customization letting you choose which "race" your squad belongs to. Yes you can pick different races in one "army", furthermore just about every unit can get "gear" which ranges from extra wounds to better weapons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers for the Ram Python, Scott. I thought I was the only one who played Battlelords, and even I never got any of the minis! So much great art and fun ideas in that game. Shame the system never quite lived up to the promise, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to get more minis from that line! I picked up the Ram P. from one of the historical cons at the same booth that sold Kryomek stuff. There are other gems in that line, including a few sci-fi civilians.

    I own Battlelords' latest edition, but have never played. It's loaded with cool art and ideas. And the CCG was not half bad--I retain two functionl decks for that as well.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete