Just picked up the Savage Worlds Fantasy Companion, and I am very pleased. It essentially gives players and GM's (or should I say DM's?) the ability to play D&D-like fantasy role-play using Savage Worlds. It's a really great way to do fantasy RPG's, and is very miniature-friendly, which is how I like my role-play experience.
I was able to nicely re-create my old D&D 3.5 character, Zogar, the Goblin Monk, with a fair degree of accuracy and flavor. I hope to get a chance to play him again some time. Savage Worlds is one of my favorite RPG systems, and the new Fantasy Companion is very empowering, providing a great addition to the line.
Scott
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree 100%, Scott. I love Savage Worlds, and the Fantasy Companion is just one of Pinnacle's excellent genre books for it. I myself am rather partial to the Pulp book, but that's one of my preferred genres.
ReplyDeleteOne thing you want to watch out for in SW fantasy in my experience is that big monsters aren't always as durable as they are in D&D. The crazy variation of the damage dice can sometimes result in almost one-shot kills of you Big Bad unless you give him some extra wounds, a solution which I don't think is supported mechanically, but is a house rule at my table.
Sage advice, John! On the other end of the argument, I sometimes worry that high Toughness monsters will stonewall my players. It's a delciate balance.
ReplyDeleteScott
I recently picked up Savage Worlds Explorers Edition, really tempted to run something with it. The Fantasy Companion is now on my list to acquire!
ReplyDelete