Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Origins 2011 Report

As some of you may know, I made the trip to the Origins game show in Columbus, OH this past weekend. Here's some quick bullet points and thoughts on the show:

  • The Dealer's hall was pretty awesome. Not nearly as many RPG vendors as in years past, but lots of small miniature companies. I was particularly impressed with the offerings from Acheson Creations. Their resin buildings and some of their 28mm sci-fi offerings are great, but what really shines is their selection of metal and resin prehistoric animals.
  • I used some of my mercenary painting money to pick up a lot of odds and ends, and some new stuff. I was able to get Mayfair Games classic Chill RPG, the Chill Companion, GM Screen, and a SAVE sourcebook for $25! All were new, if a bit worn from sitting on shelves for 15 years. Maybe I will run a Chill game for this Halloween season? Not sure.
  • Also bought the Arcanis RPG from Paradigm. This is a non-D20, original system with tons of bells and whistles. The level of setting detail and the cosmology rivals Glorantha! Look for my review next week on Play Unplugged.
  • My buddy Damian scored big for me in my quest for decks from ICE's old Middle Earth: The Wizards CCG. This is one of my favorite "dead" CCG's and I now have plenty of options to play some games.
  • I ran my Blasters & Bulkheads demo/playtest for two great guys, Dan and Michael. Thanks for playing, guys! I picked up a few tidbits and made some tweaks. I'll be updating the playtest doc this week.
  • We played On the Edge almost every night! My favorite dead CCG lives on at Origins, and boxes of boosters could be had at the show for $5! Can't beat that!


I hope to have some shots from the B&B playtest later this week.

Thanks for visiting!

--Scott

6 comments:

  1. Are there any possibility of collaborate with the B&B playtesting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I wish I had known you'd be there. I was running the volunteer security I would have had you apprehended ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every year Mayfair sells a bundle with all of the Chill books they published when they had the license, and every year I consider it... it's been $50 for a few years now, maybe the next time they drop the price I'll bite...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slorm:

    Yes, I can send you the B&B play-test doc. Just e-mail me at srpyle(at)gmail.com

    Adeptgamer:

    Hah-hah! I wish I knew you were there and who you were! I'd have loved to hang out a bit!

    LeadHead:

    I did not know about Mayfair's offers. I got my stuff from Chimera. Great stuff though, and the rules are miniature friendly, a big plus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chill is an Awesome game... The first edition was kind of tongue in cheek but the 2nd edition became more gritty and both versions are incredibly well done.

    ReplyDelete