Saturday, August 3, 2013

Alpha Strike: Exterminator

I like solid, one-piece castings, and the Iron Wind Metals Exterminator falls into that category.  This 65 ton heavy 'Mech offers a nice mix of energy and ballistic attacks, and the profile I'll likely use for AS is the EXT-5F version that offers a 2 / 2 /2 damage profile.

When painting it I could not resist attempting a new Merc paint scheme--I've dubbed this one The Red Sons (based on the sheet of transfers I had handy).




My plan is to make them Periphery raiders with Clan ties--perhaps a unit of disgraced Clanners.  This precedent exists among the Clans, they're called  Solahma-units, and while they normally don't have a lot of 'Mechs, I figured this unit has truly turned its back on their old ways, attained independence of a sort (a DropShip and access to a JumpShip) and now roves the Periphery raiding and taking merc jobs where it can.

So the Red Sons will have a mix of second line Clan 'Mechs and Inner Sphere models like the Exterminator. This will allow me to cherry-pick the models I most want to use.

Next post I'll show some comp shots of the Exterminator and a few other painted 'Mechs.

Thanks for visiting!

--Scott

3 comments:

  1. Nice idea for the fluff, you could also make a unit reminiscent of the Red Corsair; a unit of "pirates" supported by a regular Clan initiative and as such with a more ready supply of any first line mechs see: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Operational_Turning_Points:_The_Red_Corsair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sander--great idea! Please feel free to offer these sorts of tidbits anytime! This is why I love the BT universe--it's a very deep pool of amazingly rich background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, is there any tabletop you know that has just so much background material? The novels, sourcebooks, TRO's Scenariobooks. I actually do believe the fluff is better coordinated then GW's stuff.

    I'll keep checking your blog to be sure ;-)

    ReplyDelete