Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Objective Markers in Tabletop Miniature Games

I think well modeled objective markers make for better miniature games. Whether you're playing Warhammer 40K or FAD, good objective markers allow players to more easily immerse themselves in the flavor of the game. And it doesn't take that much effort to make decent ones.

I've come up with two pretty appropriate markers for my 40K Tyranid force, both courtesy of the older Battle for MacCragge boxed set.



The above spawning pods are mounted on a wooden base from Michael's and flocked in the same manner as my army bases.



I confess I don't know what the heck the above thing is--but it is Tyranid terrain, and man does it look cool. So on a Michael's base it went!

Obviously, I will need more for 40K. Some scenarios call for as many as D3 + 2. So I need at least one more. I've been thinking of doing something with this piece from Heroscape:



It's the spawning terrain piece from the Swarm of the Marro boxed set for Heroscape. It certainly looks Nid-like, and it really doesn't even need re-painted. I might put it on a proper base, likely an old compact disc.

Anyway, objective markers can help make a game look better.

2 comments:

  1. The second Tyranid terrain piece is in Dawn of War II as a spore-mine producing turret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool info, thanks! One of my friends told it was a Spawning Pool, so this seems consistent with what you;re saying. I actually found another one, so I may do it up as well.

    ReplyDelete