Friday, September 4, 2009

SuperSystem Archetypes: "I'll take one from column A, and one from Column B"

Previous editions of SuperSystem have included long lists of our official super teams specifically designed to go with our huge line of SuperFigs models. This time around for 3rd ed. we're going to release the SuperFig write-ups in a separate, and free, PDF. The space we save will be dedicated to other cool stuff, including customizable archetypes of the major super characters encountered in comics. So we'll have the base archetype, and a number of options players can pick to customize it, sort of like ordering from a Chinese menu. We intend to include archetypes for the Blaster, Brawler, Mentalist, Speedster, and of course, the Brick:

BP: 66 + package options
AP: 6
Attributes
Strength 7[2] Agility 4 Mind 2 Resolve 4
Powers
Combat Prowess x 2 (Super x 1)
Iron Will x 1
Knockback Resistance x 3
Super-Strength x 2
Vitality: 11

Core Packages (+14 pts.)
Tough
--+2D Strength
--+1 Level Super-Strength
--+2 Extra Vitality

Big
--Growth x 2
--Massive x 1

Dense
--Density Increase
--Immovable x 2

Miscellaneous Packages (+5 pts.)
The Angry Brick
--add the Berserker power
--add the Rage special effect to Super-Strength

The Bouncing Brick
--add Super Leap
--subtract 1 level of Knockback Resistance

The Clever Brick
--add +2D to Mind
--add Enhanced Senses x 1

The Fast Brick
--add Extra Movement x 5

The Perceptive Brick
--add Enhanced Senses x 5

The Rhino Brick
--add Extra Movement x 10 (Charge only)

The Unkillable Brick
--add Regeneration


So the player gets to make one selection from the Core package and one from the Miscellaneous package.

We're doing some play-testing this weekend, and more in the weeks ahead. I hope to have the game out before the end of the year.

Scott

5 comments:

  1. Very cool. Will certainly speed up character generation for quick games, while leaving in the options for those who really want to customize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Super-Figs write-ups in the main book, but I suppose I can sacrifice excellent bathroom reading for new extras like à la carte character creation. Looking forward to 3rd edition...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reading that my stuff has made it into even one bathroom is extremely satisfying! As an unrepentant bathroom reader myself, I can assure you that the official teams PDF will still have all of the cool write-ups from previous versions of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, is the total build-from-the-ground-up option going the way of the dodo? If so, I may be sticking to 2nd edition.

    If it ain't broke...

    I do like the larger stats though. Looking forward to seeing more, even though I might not like it. :)

    ReplyDelete