Thursday, March 11, 2010

Guardians of the Galaxy Canceled?

Say it ain't so! But alas, GotG and Nova will be going on "hiatus" beginning in April. You can read quotes from Marvel editor Bill Rosemann here. They're to be replaced with a 6-issue Thanos limited series, and after that, who knows? Will they return? It's doubtful. All indications are that the hiatus is a "soft" cancellation. We can maybe hope for some re-birth, a new title starting with issue #1, but I am not holding my breath.

It was sure great while it lasted! This reminds me of the other second-tier team books I have collected and loved over the years, and that have eventually been canceled. Here's the rundown:

Guardians of the Galaxy (vol. 2): 24 issues?
Shadowpact: 25 issues
Power Company: 18 issues
L.E.G.I.O.N./R.E.B.E.L.S.: 87 issues
Primal Force: 14 issues
Suicide Squad: 66 (or is that 67?) issues
Omega Men: 38 issues

At least I still have vol. 2 of R.E.B.E.L.S. to look forward to each month--for now!

--Scott

6 comments:

  1. Weird that they're canceling GotG, it's gotten a lot of good press in the past couple years. Maybe they think the cosmic boom is over?

    I can also recommend Runaways for more second-tier awesomeness. And Rucka's Checkmate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depressing. This might be the best book Marvel publishes.

    I do agree with the praise that cheetahmaster heaped on Runaways (at least while Vaughn was at the helm) as well as Rucka's criminally underrated Checkmate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, I thought Checkmate was canceled a while back? I need to have a second look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT! I love that series! Say it ain't so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Checkmate is gone.

    Too bad about Nova and Guardians. Those are two of Marvel's best books. I really hope they come back. They did the same thing with Iron Fist and it has not returned. That was another great book. Godd thing they are replacing it with four different Avengers books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah-hah! I just said the same thing to somebody! Man, I am sure he is a nice buy, but I despise Bendis' vision of the Marvel U. There's a reason the guy writes 3-4 books per month--very little happens in each issue!

    Oh well, I am in the minority here, I know. Those books sell like crazy. And our poor Guardians are left cap in hand, begging for a re-launch. I am getting old.

    ReplyDelete