Thursday, March 18, 2010

Testing...Testing--The Importance of a Test Model

As I get older and paint more models, I've come to realize the importance of painting up a test model before trying out a paint scheme on a new unit. It saves on heart break, and frees you up to try new things without fear of botching the project out of the gate.

Before embarking on painting up my Heavy Gear Golems, I dug out an unused Reaper CAV model, the Syram Talon, and had a go at the weathered, blue and white paint scheme I intend to use on the Golems.












I borrowed elements of this scheme from my buddy Danny Microwave. He's a super painter and employs a very organic, free-form style that always results in some spectacular paint jobs.

The idea is nothing new--you employ layers of paint followed by inks and more paint over the inked areas, but Danny is really fearless when he lays the paint on and I tried to channel some of that mojo when I did this. The Golems are a bit smaller than this CAV model, but I think I can achieve some of the weathered look with them, while still maintaining some brightness.

I'll post some results this weekend!

--Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment