What if we got a SBH campaign together, and all of warbands had to come from unpainted figures from our current backlogs? The only restrictions being that the figures be loosely fantasy in nature, and 28mm (or larger for monsters). Well, it didn't take long before I had a half-dozen takers for the project. So I promptly purchased PDF copies of the latest version of SBH and the related fantasy supplements from Ganesha Games.
So last night, after devouring Indian buffet and mowing the lawn, I began pawing through my backlog, looking for a theme. When I came across my previously untouched box of Lord of the Rings Corsairs of Umbar, it hit me. Sinbad! No, not the marginally talented comedian and actor, but rather the awesome Ray Harryhausen fantasy flicks of the 1960's and 1970's! So after selecting some of my favorite Corsair models, I then proceeded to fill out my crew of Arabian adventurers and pirates with some other models. So in the next few weeks I will detail the painting and subsequent games with Siddiq and his motley band.
Here's what they look like in the "raw":
And a closer look at the principals:
Captain Siddiq, dashing leader of the band! GW LotR Corsair of Umbar.
Nimr the Tiger, Siddiq's right-hand man. GW LotR Corsair of Umbar.
Rami and Musab, the crew's best shots! GW LotR Corsairs of Umbar.
Vizier Barakah, master of strange magics! Metal Magic Arab trader.
Ayman and Farid, sailors and swordsmen! Wargames Foundry Afghans.
Prince Kasim, the cursed! I think this is a Eureka minis baboon.
Jasim, Genie of Ophir, reluctant servant of the Vizier! This is an old Grenadier Genie.
Can't wait to get some paint on these guys! In the next post I will talk more about the scene of the battles, and how we'll make so many disparate fantasy themes come together in a neat way.
--Scott
Great warband with awesome character! SBH is a great game, we had a lot of fun with it but somehow it sadly ran out of steam.
ReplyDeleteThere is no reason you couldn't include the real Sinbad in as well:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat150110a&prodId=prod1090091
The figure that doesn't look like Peter Jackson would be passable.
:)
Awesome. I have just started playing SBH myself and I love it. Working on Orcs and other goblinoids for a warband.
ReplyDeleteLove those Corsairs. IMO, the overall LOTR GW line is the best fantasy-themed miniature line there is. The Perry twins are amazing.
ReplyDeleteAlso like the fact that you brought out those Foundry Afgans - superb models. I haven't checked Foundry in a looong while, but I would imagine with their price trajectory of the last decade, you could get those figs for a bargain at 10 Pounds UK each - all Post-free.
The entire NW Frontier collection at $300, post-free! What a bargain! They are magnificent figures, and ironically, I picked that pack of Afghan Tribesmen Attacking during one of their sales a while back for only around $10. Now that is a deal!
ReplyDeleteVery very nice. It is a long time since I have seen an Arabian themed anything - the last one I saw had a flying carpet with seated MU user on it.
ReplyDeleteMaybe you need a little flying support?
http://www.spiritgames.co.uk/figs/dsajpg/15065.jpg
Andrew
What a fantastic idea, and a great collection of miniatures too. Looking forward to seeing them painted up and on the table.
ReplyDeleteThanks, guys! I am now at 7 models finished, and I think right at 300 pts. based on how I calculate them. I will paint the last two as reserves, and maybe even a few more.
ReplyDelete